Date:      Tue, 10 Oct 1995 05:15:50 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        pst@cisco.com, stu@cisco.com
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FleeBSD and XNTPD

>That's utterly bizzare that async IO isn't working on the serial lines, I seem
>to recall using it way back a million years ago.

>What version of FreeBSD are you using?  I assume 2.0.5R, right?

FSETOWN has never worked "right" for ttys in FreeBSD releases.  It only
works for controlling terminals that are associated with the session of
the calling process.  Using it may interfere with normal controlling
terminal semantics (there is only one process group associated with each
tty, so you can't arrange for SIGIO to be sent to a diferent process to
SIGHUP).  Some unreleased versions between 1.1 and 1.1.5 broke the
semantics of controlling terminals to fix xntpd.

>> Spent a frustrating weekend trying to get one of the clock drivers for
>> XNTPD working - of course, to hook up my GPS using NMEA as a first pass
>> to determine just what level of accuracy it might produce.

I thought that this was fixed at least in the dcf clock driver, but since
`TIOCSCTTY' doesn't occur in any of the xntpd source files in -current,
I don't see how any of the clock drivers can have a controlling terminal.

>> Turns out that FleeBSD doesn't seem to support asynchronous IO on serial
>> ports.  All the software built just fine but ioctl() or fcntl() calls on
>> the serial file handle trying to set the process id to be signalled (ie
>> using F_SETMODE or TIOCSPGRP) barfed with 'inappropriate ioctl for device).

This error is documented in the tcsetpgrp man page.

Bruce