Date:      Sun, 25 Jul 1999 10:52:03 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Barbara Scott <barbls@hotmail.com>
Cc:        kevin.weiss@mail.utexas.edu, dutch@charm.net, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Partition sizes (was: Questions)

On Friday, 23 July 1999 at 18:12:50 -0700, Barbara Scott wrote:
> Kevin Weiss wrote:
>
>> what type of mouse are you selecting during xf86config?
>>
>> If you (physically) have a PS/2 mouse, I wouldn't necessarily select
>> dev/psm0.
>>
>> I tried that once, and I couldn't use my Generic Brand mouse.
>> Try /dev/sysmouse during your xf86config install.
>>
>> I hope that helps...
>>
>> Kevin Weiss
>> kevin.weiss@mail.utexas.edu
>
> Greg wrote:
>
>> Hmm.  I don't know this mouse.  What have you done with it?  I'd
>> expect that the Microsoft protocol would work.
>
> Dutch Collins wrote:
>> Is this your mouse? If so, maybe the PnP is getting in the way.
>>
>> Belkin Mouse & Driver
>>  3 button Combo Mouse features dynamic resolution and
>>  3 microswitch buttons. For use with IBM PC and compatibles.
>>  Plug & play under Win 95. Designes for right & left handed
>>  users. Works with 9 pin serial or PS/2 mouse port.
>>
>>  TC-200    $9.00
>
> Thank you for your responses to my question about configuring the
> Belkin Mouse.  Yes, the mouse is the one mentioned by Dutch.  I
> tried modifying the /etc/XF86config file with /dev/sysmouse,
> (Microsoft and Logitech protocols), without success.

For /dev/sysmouse you need to be running moused.  You'd be better off
selecting Microsoft protocol and putting it on a serial port
(/dev/ttyd0 or /dev/ttyd1), or putting it on the PS/2 port (/dev/psm0)
and selecting PS/2 protocol.

> For now, I'm reconciled to use my original Microsoft 2-button mouse
> emulating the 3-button unless there's anything I can do "about PnP
> getting in the way?"

I can't understand why it can't work in exactly the same way as your
Microsoft mouse.

Greg