Date:      Sat, 5 Jun 1999 09:58:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Matt Behrens <matt@zigg.com>
To:        Lutz Albers <lutz@muc.de>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SSH2 (in FreeBSD-Questions)

On Sat, 5 Jun 1999, Lutz Albers wrote:

: Do you know the Modules package (www.modules.org). This might spare you the
: symlink game. You specify which environment variables are to be changed and
: then just say 'module add <package>' or 'module rm <package>'.
: Granted, you need a patched shell to support the resulting long PATH
: variable, but on the plus side it gives you the possibility to install and
: use multiple version of a package without major problems (i.e. different
: gtk versions)

Yeah, I've heard of it, but didn't get too much farther than looking
at it.  It looks interesting, and very well-planned, but I guess
I fail to see the advantage of it over symlinks, especially because
there is a lot of groundwork to cover.  Is there something inherently
bad about symlinks? :-)  I mean, with the symlink structure, adding
packges is very clean, and removing packages is as easy as rm -rf
/opt/package, and rescanning the symlinks (better yet -- a script
could be easily written up to look for orphaned symlinks, entirely
in an automatic fashion.)

The only thing that I have to munge with is patching the source
tarballs before running everything *sigh* :-)

Matt Behrens <matt@zigg.com>
Owner/Administrator, zigg.com
Chief Engineer, Nameless IRC Network