Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 2001 16:54:54 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>
Cc:        "Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OT: non-Unix history (Was: FreeBSD vs linux)

Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com> types:
> Mike Meyer wrote:
> > If you want to argue that one of the reasons that Unix failed on the
> > desktop was that X allowed the users to run arbitrarily strange window
> > managers, and most of those window managers allowed configuration to
> > an extent that would require major rewrites of MacOS or Windows, I
> > won't argue. I would claim that the kernel APIs being different were
> > more of a reason, but that's just me.
> Lets not forget that machines weren't as fast then as they are
> now. We tried to switch to UNIX in that time, the heydays of UNIX
> in that it got heralded everywhere as the new king of all systems.

There are *lots* of potential reasons, many of them good ones. The
issue about machine speed shows up in the infamous "Worse is better"
paper, and I talk about this particular case in my "Good enough is
best" paper <URL: http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/good-enough.html >
(which provides pointers to "Worse is better" as well as covering the
salient features).

> Next thing you knew you got System V in a version per hardware
> manufacturer. Sinix, Ultrix, Whateverix. Novell had it easy.

Actually, Ultrix is a BSD derivative, and didn't require a SysV
license. But they changed it later. Ditto for Sun and Mips - both
started on BSD with a SysIII license, then went to SysV.  But The Unix
market splintering that way was what "the kernel APIs being different"
was referring to. You couldn't port an application to Unix - you had
to port it to each variant. Since VMS - and later NT - were usually a
larger market than any single Unix vendor, even if it wasn't as big as
all of them put together, it got preference.

> By
> the time X got both workable *and* affordable there was no beating
> the PC lead. Lotus ruled and WordStar was king, then WordPerfect.
> Neither of which ran on UNIX or worked with X.

Later, of course, WordPerfect started running on nearly anything - I
even had an Amiga vesion at one point.

	<mike