Date:      Fri, 22 Jul 2005 00:06:05 -0600
From:      <service@fixer.com>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Printer won't work

uname -a

FreeBSD localhost 5.4-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE #0: Wed Jul 20 =
22:10:32 UTC 2005=20

root@:/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/VIL i386

Can't get printer to work.=20

I have a P4 compter with SCSI drives and 1 gig of memmory. It runs =
Mozilla, apache2,=20

mysql and php5 perfect. When I try to print something, it doesn't work.

I have a Hewlett-Packard Deskjet-500 printer. I followed the =
instructions in the Handbook.=20

I tested it with the 'lptest > /dev/lpt0' function. It printed one line, =
stalled for a few=20

seconds like it didn't know what to do, then it ejected the sheet and =
then ran two more=20

sheets without trying to print anything. The manual says if it prints =
something, it okay,=20

you can fix the errors later.

I did install the 'ifhp filter' from the /usr/share/examples to =
/usr/local/libexec/ifhp.=20

The 'ifhp filter' is designed for the Deskjet-500 and will also work on =
most Hewlett-Packards.

My printcap file is:

lp|hp|local line printer:\

:sh:\

:lp=3D/dev/lpt0:sd=3D/var/spool/output/lpd:lf=3D/var/log/lpd-errs:\

:if=3D/usr/local/libexec/ifhp:

My print spool is:

/var/spool/output/lpd

I chowned lpd for deamon,deamon and I also chmoded 770 like the book =
says.

I used 'lpr file' to try and print something and all I received was:

lp:

no daemon to abort

printing enabled

lpc: Unable to connect to /var/run/printer: Socket operation on =
non-socket

lpc: Check to see if the master 'lpd' process is running.

couldn't restart daemon

This tells you theres no socket and the daemon isn't running. I also =
checked to see=20

if /var/run/printer existed. I cd'd to /var/run and that was it. I ran =
ls and printer=20

did not come up.

I also ran # lptcontrol -i -d /dev/lpt0 for interrupt-driven mode and=20

# lptcontrol -p -d /dev/lpt0 for polled-mode. It failed both times.

I know how to use ps -aux the see if apache and mysql are running, but I =
don't how

to find out if the 'printing daemon" is running.=20

I think we need to somehow find a way to get the 'printing daemon' to =
run.

This is about a far as I can go, hopefully, someone can tell me the =
steps to get the daemon

going and how to tell if its going.

I also tried this on the same computer with FreeBSD 5.4 without any =
applications installed. I also=20

tried it on Dell-P3 with IDE drives. Both of these produced the same =
results.

Thanks in advance,

bruce