Date:      Sun, 27 Aug 2000 14:06:08 -0400
From:      "Clarence Brown" <clabrown@granitepost.com>
To:        "'Blaz Zupan'" <blaz@amis.net>, <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: 4.1 lockup at isa0: on reboot

> I think I've seen this on a customer's 486 (used
> as a wireless router) and if I remember correctly
> it was caused by the ata driver. Unplugging the
> hard disk fixed it (but obviously I couldn't install
> FreeBSD on such a machine :), it > was a Western
> Digital. Using the wd driver fixed it as well.
> Plugging in another hard disk (a newer Western
> Digital) fixed it as well. I chose the later
> route, as the old disk crashed a couple of days
> after using it with the wd driver. Also, I had
> to use userconfig to remove all drivers for
> hardware I didn't have.

This is after the install ... Don't know how I
could unplug the hard disk, while it's booting from
the same hard disk ...

It IS a Western Digital Caviar AC22000 drive. I
might be able to dig up an even older Seagate for
a test install.

I've never had to mess with the kernel before,
generic always worked ... "userconfig"? I'll look
it up.

How do I make it use the WD driver? Will that
affect the IDE CDROM?