Date:      Fri, 26 May 2006 05:10:23 -0500
From:      "Nikolas Britton" <nikolas.britton@gmail.com>
To:        "cknipe@savage.za.org" <cknipe@savage.za.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OT: Torn between SCSI and SATA for RAID

On 5/10/06, cknipe@savage.za.org <cknipe@savage.za.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been spending the last couple of days extensively looking at various
> options for RAID and getting some storage system in place.  Performance i=
s not
> really a BIG issue, but I also don't want to have things hecticly slow ei=
ther.
> This will be a NAS type of implementation so speed would be bound by rela=
tively
> speaking slow network connections in any case...
>
> Now first things first as well, I did look at Fiber Channels too - and th=
> tecnology is just to expensive and complex for a home type implementation=
 that
> I want this for.
>
> Ideally, I'd like to start at 2TB of storage (yes, those movies must go
> somewhere!), but I'd like to be able to grow this as times go by... I als=
> definately want redundancy on the data, as I just lost 80GB of precious d=
ata
> when ironically, a 160GB SATA Seagate went out under me.
>
> Now SCSI I know, is more expensive than SATA.  Whether it provides beter
> performance than SATA I'm still uncertain off, but gut would tell me that=
 due
> to the cost factor, SCSI *should* run away as far as speed is concerned. =
 But
> also as I said previously, speed and performance is not a priority for my
> implementation and therefore it has very little weight.  This makes me lo=
ok at
> SATA then therefore.
>
> My problem with SATA, is the whole 1 Port, 1 Drive scenario.  I've looked=
 at the
> Adaptec 16 Port SATA Controller.  The reviews I managed to get on that ca=
rd on
> the Internet, paints a very grim picture.  Buggered Firmware, the control=
ler
> destroys drives, and general sluggish performance.  Is anyone using this =
card
> that can perhaps give me a better picture?

You want the Areca ARC-1160-ML (ML for Multi-Lane) card:
http://www.areca.com.tw/products/html/pcix-sata.htm
http://www.rackmountpro.com/productpage.php?prodid=3D2350

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=3Darcmsr&apropos=3D0&sektion=3D0&m=
anpath=3DFreeBSD+6.1-RELEASE&format=3Dhtml

--=20
BSD Podcasts @:
http://bsdtalk.blogspot.com/
http://freebsdforall.blogspot.com/