Date:      Mon, 02 Nov 1998 12:07:22 +0000
From:      "Nick A. Fikouras" <nick@dcs.shef.ac.uk>
To:        "D. Alex Neilson" <neilson@www.nugate.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Static Route, need help (was: Re: Static Route (Correction))

D. Alex Neilson wrote:

> With this configuration, to get A to talk to B, one could say on A
>
>    route add -host 192.168.67.67 -interface vx0
>
>           -------
>           |     |
>           |  A  |
>           |     |
>           -------
>              | 192.168.66.66 (vx0)
>       -------------------------------------  ethernet (multiple nets)
>                      | 192.168.67.67 (le0)
>                   -------
>                   |     |
>                   |  B  |
>                   |     |
>                   -------
>
> I get this route, but the gateway ethernet address is for host A:
>
>    Destination        Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use     Netif
>    192.168.67.67     0:60:8:4:4:ed      UHLS        0        0       vx0
>
> Of course, it doesn't work; strangely, if I try telnetting from B to A,
> it'll pause for a moment, then let me in, with A giving this message
>
>    myhost /kernel: arp: 192.168.67.67 moved from                \
>    00:60:08:04:04:ed to 08:00:20:73:87:89
>
> and A now shows the route I wanted in the first place:
>
>    Destination        Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use     Netif
>    192.168.67.67     8:0:20:73:87:89    UHLS        1       55       vx0
>
> Is there a way to get the latter route in the first place?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alex

I have had the same problem, this is what I've found out from my experience.
The main problem is that whenever a static route to a host is created, for no
apparent reason, an ARP entry is created for the particular host indicating as
its MAC address the address of the interface that was passed as argumen in the
'route add -host' command (!). What makes things even worse is that static
links seem to create permanent arp entries. You can verify that by doing arp
-a. In my case I had two machines that could not exchange traffic due to the
folly arp table. All traffic transmitted by a node was destined at the link
layer for itself!!!!. I checked with a network analyser.
The way I've overcome this is, I've created I a file with all the proper arp
entries and I load it up manually after booting has completed (check arp
manual page for this). I know this not the most scientific way of doing it, if
anybody has any suggestions I'm willing to change.

hope I've been of any help,

nick