Date:      Sun, 1 Mar 1998 17:56:47 +1100
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        zjhh2@etsu.edu
Cc:        Mark Mayo <mark@vmunix.com>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, owner-freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, jhhiggins@prodigy.net

On Sun, Mar 01, 1998 at 01:29:41AM -0500, James wrote:

> On Sun, 1 Mar 1998, Mark Mayo wrote:

> > [See the thread for the rest of the discussion :)]
> >
> > > What do you others think?
> >
> > I think that if you create a -newbies, a significant portion of
> > the questions that currently go to -questions will go to -newbies.
> > Why? If I were a newbie, and I had a problem, I would go "Oh,
> > a newbie list! I'll ask there!". So I think it would get significant
> > traffic. For this reason, it would be impossible for Sue to
> > formally moderate it in any way..
>
> That would at least be my logic... albeit that is sometimes broken... :)

I don't have much knowledge, I don't have much computer power, sometimes not
much time, but I do have determination and no shame. If the idea stands up,
and if it's not going to interfere with the good work that others are doing,
and if it is to be public and not just a few of my friends, and if I'm
involved as more than a participant, and if it is to succeed, then I will
need to enlist all kinds of support. That's an awful lot of ifs away.

There are still several alternatives that could be considered.

> I think that is somewhat of an ideal situation.  I think this could also
> tend to run into the same overlap problems that Greg mentions on his web
> page. (http://www.lemis.com/questions.html)
>
> That bieng too generic questions for -newbies, and overly technical
> questions for -questions.

I wasn't thinking of a place to get answers. There's a great deal more to
being a newbie than having questions. I was thinking more of a place to just
be for a while with real peers, to let off steam and get things into
perspective. One problem that will arise is people trying to answer other
people's questions. That cannot be stopped, but the focus can put it into
perspective.

Of course, this relates to just one idea of what a newbies' list might be.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-

find / -name "*.conf" |more