Date:      Fri, 25 Aug 2000 15:43:09 +0200
From:      Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
To:        "Barrett G. Lyon" <blyon@theshell.com>
Cc:        Paul Saab <paul@mu.org>, Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.chuckr.org>, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, George Morgan <gemorga2@vt.edu>
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 3960D Ultra160 issues

On Thu, 24-Aug-2000 at 11:12:42 -0700, Barrett G. Lyon wrote:
>  Chuck Robey (chuckr@picnic.chuckr.org) wrote:
>  > Paul, George Morgan and I (see I added him to the CC:, he's not
>  > subscribed) are both seeing problems with inability to boot IBM Ultra 160
>  > drives (he on a Adaptec 39160, me on a 29160).  Can you tell me where you
>  > saw the stuff on this problem, so I can read up on it and see if there's
>  > some sort of fix for us?
>
> As an added note, I can boot just fine with IBM U160 disks on the Adaptec
> 39160.  I just had crashing problems and it only runs at 40 MHz.

I can only speak for the 2940U2W and I think the 29160 has the same
problem. Don't know about yours...

The SCSI driver in -STABLE has a problem when using manual termination
settings on the 2940U2W. I have some device on the 68pin SE connector
and some on th 50pin SE connector. And two IBM DDYS-T18350N on the
LVD connector. So the manual temination settings would be
enabled for LVD and ON/OFF for SE. This didn't work, one machine
even wasn't able to go multiuser.

This was fixed by enabling automatic termination. The other
possibility is to use

sys/cam/scsi/scsi_message.h
sys/cam/cam_ccb.h
sys/cam/cam_xpt.c
sys/dev/aic7xxx          (the whole dir)

from -current on 4.1-STABLE. That is what I am doing now.

Justin told me yesterday that the -current code will be MFC'ed
to -STABLE very soon.

Hope it helps,

	-Andre