Date:      Sun, 21 Jan 2001 15:42:30 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        Arcady Genkin <antipode@thpoon.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UW-IMAP server and secure authentication

On Sun, Jan 21, 2001 at 06:27:24PM -0500, Arcady Genkin wrote:
> Having read the documentation on UW imap server I understand that I
> need to purchase an SSL certificate to use SSL build of the server.

Really?

> Is there any way I can implement secure authentication mechanism (just
> encrypted username and passwords) without having to buy the
> certificate?  If yes, will this mechanism be supported by popular
> MS-based mail readers?

I don't see why you can't use a self-signed cert. Provided you
distribute it securely (relative to what you are protecting and other
security measures), it is a fairly good solution.

I have never used SSL within UW IMAP. However, I set up a mailserver
which used stunnel (in the ports) to get SSL access to UW IMAP. Making
a self-signed cert with stunnel was painless and a reasonable solution
for that organization. Almost all of the users were using M$ Outlook
Express as a MUA. A few Netscape Messenger users. Neither had an
problems.