Date:      Wed, 25 Jul 2001 16:33:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Pat Barron <pat@transarc.ibm.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   More info on Thinkpad install problem

A couple of days ago, I sent a note about some problems I was having
installing FreeBSD 4.2 on an IBM Thinkpad 385XD from CD-ROM.  I've just
verified that the problem also exists for FreeBSD 4.3.  Here is a
transcript of what happened when I tried to boot the Thinkpad a FreeBSD 4.3
install CD:

BTX loader 1.00  BTX version is 1.01
Console: internal video/keyboard
BIOS drive A: is disk0
BIOS drive C: is disk1
BIOS 639kB/97088kB available memory

FreeBSD/i386 bootstrap loader, Revision 0.8
(jkh@narf.osd.bsdi.com, Sat Apr 21 08:46:19 GMT 2001)
Can't work out which disk we are booting from.
Guessed BIOS device 0x8b not found by probes, defaulting to disk0:

Hit [Enter] to boot immediately, or any other key for command prompt.
Booting [kernel]...
can't load 'kernel'
can't load 'kernel.old'

Type '?' for a list of commands, 'help' for more detailed help.
ok

And that's pretty much as far as I get.

This worked fine with FreeBSD 4.0 (which uses version 0.7 of the
bootstrap loader).  I've been looking through the code to see if I
can spot a relevant change between 4.0 and 4.2, but haven't come
up with anything.

If I use the 4.0 loader that's already installed on the hard drive to boot
the kernel off of the 4.2 CD, the kernel loads and the installation
starts, but when I try to select media options, I get a message that no
CDROM devices were detected.

Any hints about how to solve these problems would be greatly appreciated!

--Pat.