Date:      Sun, 20 Aug 2000 23:15:51 +0200
From:      Michael Raff <raff@ElectroCity.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   IBM ThinkPad A20p and Xwindows

Hi

Please forgive me for reposting. I have included more details this time.

I have an IBM ThinkPad A20p. This laptop has an ATi Rage Mobility 128 with
16Meg video ram, and a 15" LCD with video resolution of 1400x1050 32bit color.

Case 1:
On the same hardware, I have XFree84 4.01 working in Linux (Mandrake 7.1).
I have take the same config file and tried in on Fbsd 4.1 and the screen
just goes blank. On Linux however, I have Vesa Frame Buffer enabled, with a
"vga=" line in lilo.conf. What is the fbsd equivalent of the Vesa Frame
Buffer ?

Case 2:
On linux, I also have the commercial xig X server. It works fine. On fbsd,
I run the binary in linux emulation, but it complains it cant find the VT
device. Is there a way to create the VT as it would appear under linux on
fbsd so I can run the linux commercial X server?

I do development under fbsd, and will rather have fbsd on my laptop.
Unfortunately I need X as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Michael