Date:      Mon, 30 Apr 2001 14:03:04 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
To:        John Wilson <john_wilson100@excite.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfw routing/netmask problem

On Mon, 30 Apr 2001, John Wilson wrote:

> > > fxp1 is bound to several IPs, 192.168.1.254 and 192.168.2.254 for
> two > > different types of NAT clients, and 90.91.92.4 for the DMZ.

> >  	Define "2 different types of NAT clients".  Your DMZ is not on a
> >  	seperate network of your private network?  By doing that you are
> >  	getting rid of the whole concept of having a DMZ.

> Two different companies sharing the line.  It's easier to use two
> different unregistered subnets for NAT clients (bandwidth accounting,
> etc.), although both are aliased to appear from the exposed interface
> (90.91.92.2)
>
> I don't see a problem with DMZ being on the same network with everyone
> else, other than that people can steal routable IPs, but then the
> firewall is configured to block all incoming traffic to 62.90.91.2
> (except for established connections), and has specific rules for each
> allowed DMZ server (allow incoming 25 for mail, 80 for http, etc.), so
> even if someone steals an extra IP, the firewall will reject them.

	If someone compromises a machine on the DMZ, they have access to
	your private network...sniffing..etc.

> >  	You have 2 options here.
> >

> > 1) Setup proxy arp on your outside interface.  Binding the whole >
> /27 address range (with exception of the router's IP) to your BSD >
> machine.  Make natd translations accordingly.

> > 2) Setup your DMZ using 90.91.92.16/28 IP range which gives you >
> enough IP's to play with, and leaves the 90.91.92.4/30 and >
> 90.91.92.8/29 subnet's to play with. Add the routes in the router > to
> route the subnets to your BSD machine's IP.  Make natd > translations
> accordingly if you decide to run private address > space for your DMZ,
> if not no additional work needs to be done.

> Which option is better?   How do I set up proxy arp?

	I would probably run with Option 2 first.  But keep in mind that
	there are other options.

> This seems like a good solution.   Please help me figure out the
> subnets/routes I need to use.   So far, I have this:
>
> /---------------------\
> |  router 90.91.92.1  |
> \---------------------/
> /---------------------\   /---------------------\
> | fxp0 90.91.92.2/30  |---|  fxp1 90.91.92.?/?  |
> \---------------------/   \---------------------/
>                                -|     |    |-----------
>                               |       |               |
>                           /-------\   /-------\   /-------\
>                           | NAT 1 |   | NAT 2 |   |  DMZ  |
>                           \-------/   \-------/   \-------/
>
> All I gotta do is fill in the missing blanks  :)

	fxp1= 90.91.92.17 netmask 255.255.255.240

	All DMZ machines (90.91.92.18 -> 90.91.92.30) are setup with the
	same netmask (255.255.255.240) and point to .17 as there gateway.

	I would, however, change your physcial setup by splitting off your
	DMZ onto it's own ethernet card and switch like so:

		Public (Router)

		fxp0

		BSD --fxp2---DMZ

		fxp1

		Private Net
		 /    	 \
		nat1	nat2

	It just makes more sense security wise and makes administration a
	little less difficult.  It also gives you more options with
	firewalling and such.

Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
 - Keep on Routing in a Free World...
  "FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!"