Date:      Sun, 26 Mar 2000 19:07:07 -0500
From:      Eric Ogren <eogren@earthlink.net>
To:        Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
Cc:        Don Read <dread@texas.net>, Jim Freeze <jim@freeze.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to access POP3 mail?

On Sun, Mar 26, 2000 at 05:55:51PM -0500, Jim Durham wrote:
> Just a cautionary note,  if you are going to relay
> through your ISP, they must add your IP or hostname to
> their relay-domains file.
>
> It's much simpler to just use XFMAIL or Netscape and set
> up the POP stuff to point to their mail server. You
> can use your own sendmail for outgoing to get around
> the "anti-spam" rules on your ISP.

 This is generally not true. If, like me, you are a member
of an ISP that has its dial-up addresses on the antispam
Dialup Listing, and you attempt to run your own [non smarthost configured]
sendmail, much of your mail will be blocked. This is because at many
places (including FreeBSD.org), the mail server checks the IP against
the dialup-network spam list, and rejects the mail if your IP is on it.

 I must agree with the previous poster; adding "DS<ISP's mail server>"
is a much better way to go. Unless your ISP is incompetent, they
WILL have your IP number in their relay-domain file, since otherwise
nobody who runs Windows could send email (Windows does not ship with
an SMTP server).

 Eric