Date:      Fri, 28 Apr 2000 15:14:00 +1000
From:      "Richard Grace" <rgrace@itworks.com.au>
To:        "'Fook Sheng Chan'" <chanfs16@yahoo.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: a good backup software and hardware

> I am proposing a backup system for about 40 FreeBSD
> Web servers, and as I previously have little experice
> with backup for FreeBSD, I need your help.
>
> Pls advice me on what hardware to use if i want auto
> tape load functionality, and what software (comm or
> free).

I'm not too sure about hardware, depending on the amount of content to be
backed up, you could probably get it all on a few DLT or AIT type tapes in a
small changer.  Check the tape write speeds vs. the amount of data to back
up in the available time you have to determine how many tape drives you will
need.

Amanda (/usr/ports/misc/amanda24, http://www.amanda.org/) is a fantastic
free backup utility, which uses either dump (best) or gnu tar to back up
filesystems and has support for tape changers.  See the list of supported
hardware and the mailing list archives before buying hardware.  It works in
client-server config with one or more tape drives and will work perfectly
across firewalls.  The amanda-users mailing list provides excellent support.
It is also possible to restore your backups using just restore or gnu tar
which is a bonus if your backup server dies also... some other backup
utilities use proprietary formats which are much harder to deal with.

Richard Grace.