Date:      Tue, 12 May 2020 17:01:00 +1000
From:      Dewayne Geraghty <dewayne@heuristicsystems.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Moving sources (base/ports) from /usr

Hi Ede,
Something like this might help, where you construct:
/import/src
/import/ports
then on as needed basis, you can
mount_nullfs /import/src /usr/src
mount_nullfs /import/ports /usr/ports

I have something like this when I'm using one source (for src and ports)
on a virtual disk under virtualbox (on Win) across multiple VM's.  This
also means I don't have to fiddle with variables.

Cheers.