Date:      Wed, 15 Apr 1998 20:27:40 +0200
From:      Andreas Braukmann <braukmann@tse-online.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   'fatal trap 12' on boot (smp and up)

Hello,

 I was running (quit happily) -current from late November '97 with
 an smp-enabled kernel.
 I updated my sources to 98/04/06 and waited a few days for
 'alarm' and 'heads up'-messages on -current.
 Yesterday I made the world, installed the world and made my kernel
 based on my old kernel-configuration (just deleted the outdated 'log'
 pseudo-device).

 The new kernel traps on boot immediatly (after it's loaded).
 This happens to both - the smp-enabled and the normal uni-proc. kernel.
 (same config, just without smp).

  The hardware:
    * Gigabyte 686DX Dual PPro 200
    * Award BIOS
    * 128 MB Ram

The trap: (from the uni-proc. kernel, cited from hand-written notes)
Fatal trap 12: page fault while in vm86 mode
fault virtual address:  0x26e0
fault code: user read, page not present
ip = 0x24a:0x240
sp = 0x0:0xff8
fp = 0x0:0x0
cs = base 0xf0000008, limit 0xd14c8, type 0xf
     DPL 0, pres 1, def 32 0, gran 0
proc eflags = trace trap, int enabled, resume, vm86, IOPL=0
cur proc = idle
int mask = net tty bio cam

I even made a 'config -g' up-kernel, but a 'trace'-command
in the kernel-debugger didn't spit out anything that seemed very
useful to me (I'm a non-kernel hacker ...), just something about
'xxxx DYNAMIC xxxx'.

The trap appears at exactly the same addresse for the smp and the up-case.

Any hints?

Thanks,
   Andreas

--
/// TSE TeleService GmbH  |  Gsf: Arne Reuter        |
/// Hovestrasse 14        |       Andreas Braukmann  | We do it with