Date:      Sun, 29 Oct 2000 23:27:23 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Peter <peter@qtme.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Trying to make something close to .bat file for dos on freebsd

On Sun, Oct 29, 2000 at 04:38:33AM -0800, Peter wrote:
> Hello
>

> Im trying to make something close to bat for freebsd.  But don't know
> where to start.

There are lots of good books on every day usage of Unix and it's
environment.  I started with "The Unix Programming Environment" of
Brian Kernighan & Rob Pike, but this is an old book now, and I'm not
sure if it's still available.

> I was thinking making so when i hit say "c" it auto connect start ssh
> and connect to a remote site.

You can get away for this simple task with what Unix shells call
'aliases'.  For instance if you're using tcsh, you can write at your
prompt:

    % alias nini 'ssh -l username nini.somethere.net'

and then use the alias for running the entire quoted command:

    % nini

For more details, you can always consult the manual page of your
favorite shell; sh(1), bash(1), csh(1) or tcsh(1).

- giorgos