Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 2000 21:19:54 -0400 (AST)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   jail(8) and mount point limits ...

Morning all ...

	I'm trying to figure out a way fo cleanly sharing directories
betwen jail environments, and am running against a few 'brick walls', and
am wondering if anyone has any ideas ...

	Right now, I have a server that has 30 jail environments
configured onto it ... works great, but I'd like to work on reducing some
of the duplication of files, if I can, so that I don't have to upgrade 30
servers when I need to upgrade a piece of software, or, at the very least,
not have 30+ /usr/ports to update ...

	Now, someone had one suggested a hard link, but you can't do that
with directories according to the docs, so that idea is out ... and a
symlink won't go "through" the chroot() environment ...

	So, I think, that leaves using nfs ... nfsd lets you bind to a
particular IP, so I can bind that to the base machines IP no problem, but
eventually it times out cause portmap isn't running, so that appears to be
out ...

	Next option is to put /usr/ports on another machine and nfs mount
from there, which I can do similar to what I do for procfs, but now I'm
going to have 30+ nfs mounted /usr/ports directories ...

	First question ... is there an easier way of doing this then using
nfs?

	Second question ... if not, are there any limits to the number of
file systems I can nfs mount from one server to another before I run into
problems?

Thanks ...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org