Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 2001 23:03:34 GMT
From:      groggy@iname.com
To:        john@T-F-I.freeserve.co.uk
Subject:   Re: kernel compile errs

> >FBSD 3.5.1
> >
> >after about 5 years i have been used to FBSD compiling
> >without errors, so i assume i must have something wrong
> >in my kernel config, cuz i sure get alot of them now.
> >it is not bad memory or anything, cuz it's the same
> >errors everytime.  can someone please point out
> >the error of my ways?
> >
> >please ditto a copy of any replies off the list.
> >
> >thanks.
>
> I searched the rest of your message but couldn't find "error".
> I see lots of warnings, and I often get similar, but I don't
> think we need worry as long as the end result Works.
>
> John.

thanks :)  i meant "error" as in that it used to be frowned upon to have
warnings in kernel compiles.  i understand they are warnings - however -
FBSD developers used to take some pride in having clean code that didn't
produce warnings - and i never had any pre 3.0-series. it isn't comforting
to see 10's of variables throughout the kernel being initialized by
incompatable pointer types, variables in functions that are unused,
variables that are uninitialized, etc.  that is kinda sloppy, no? :) for
developers claiming to uphold the highest standards in coding?