Date:      Sun, 22 Feb 1998 11:04:14 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New SoftUpdates test kit

> Mike, back to the discussion of policy.  vinum needs some way to
> associate the buffer returned to the b_iodone function with its
> internal requests.  CCD does this by including the buffer header in
> the internal request.  The obvious alternative is to use one of
> b_driver[12] to point to the other information.  The trouble is that
> scsi_strategy seems to use both of them.  Consider a few
> possibilities:

It has been discussed before that b_driver* should go away.  The
CAM SCSI layer does not use these fields which means that the last
reference in our code is going away.  Please don't add another
instance.  Struct bufs are pervasive and keeping their size small
enough to be efficiently allocated is important.  I'd have to go
look to see how close we are to a power of two in size right now,
but even if removing these fields doesn't shrink us down a malloc
bucket size, it will give us room to add things like pointers for
buffer chaining for larger than 64k I/O requests.

--
Justin