Date:      Fri, 30 Mar 2001 09:11:09 +1200
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonathan.chen@itouch.co.nz>
To:        Siggy Brentrup <bsb@winnegan.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Building SMP kernel

On Thu, Mar 29, 2001 at 07:14:26PM +0200, Siggy Brentrup wrote:
> Hello,
>
> coming from the Debian/GNU Linux world, I just installed FreeBSD 4.2
> from CD on an otherwised unused dual P166 System. Since the default
> kernel is configured w/o SMP support, I have to rebuild it, but from
> the docs I understand you have to successfully make world beforehand.
>
> Having installed a full system I'd really like to have SMP enabled
> before making world, is there a way? Can't find it in the manual or
> the FAQ.

You don't have to do a `make world' to build a kernel. The make
buildworld+kernel+installworld is only required if you intend on tracking
the latest sources from FreeBSD. For an installation off a CD (or one
that has done the build+kernel+installworld at least once) you can build
a kernel without recompiling everything. Check out:

	http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/kernelconfig-building.html

To build an SMP kernel, just uncomment the relevant SMP lines in the
kernel config file.

Cheers.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonathan.chen@itouch.co.nz>