Date:      Wed, 18 Jul 2001 19:19:12 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        David Leimbach <leimbacd@bellsouth.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: a fast windows manager?

> On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 09:10:50PM -0700, Bsd Newbie wrote:
> >
> > I have an inexpensive bookpc that uses the SiS630
> > chipset.  It's pulling 16mb from the system ram...
> >
> > The problem with this chipset is it's incredibly slow.
> >
> > I've tried KDE and Gnome which crawl along.  Is there
> > a windows manager that looks more like CDE and is much
> > faster than these two?

I've fixed the top-posting. Please don't do that here.

David Leimbach <leimbacd@bellsouth.net> types:
> Try WindowMaker or BlackBox.  Lite and fast! :)
>
> WindowMaker is involved in the GNUStep collection which seems to be of growing
> popularity as it has libraries that can be coded in objective C.  This is
> also similar to the NextStep stuff that works on Mac OSX!
>
> BlackBox is just plain fast :). But if you are one of those people who hate
> C++ and everything that comes out of it don't use it... BlackBox is 100% C++
> code.

I haven't added my favorite - lwm - because it isn't much like CDE. If
you're interested in working on a window manager and don't want C++,
you might give it a look. It's a minimalist window manager - one
button in the window decorations and one menu are all the controls it
provides - but the code is 100% C, and all very clean.

	<mike