Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 1999 11:03:06 -0500 (EST)
From:      mwlucas@exceptionet.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   start gated, CPU & VM hit 100%

Hello,

I have a 2.2.8 FWTK box protecting our internal network.  On our outer
network, we have two routers.  One is a link to the Internet.  The other
is a private link to a distant site on the Internet.  We wanted to have
automatic fail-over -- if the private link fails, we'll have (slow) access
to the remote site.

Gated & OSPF seem to be a good choice here.

When I fire up "gated -t all", I get the following messages:

Mar 12 10:09:18 blind gated[9554]: inet_init: *WARNING* IP forwarding
disabled!
Mar 12 10:09:18 blind gated[9554]: KRT READ REMNANT 192.168.3.3     router
192.168.134.48  flags <UP GW HOST DYN>17: queuing delete for redirect

The CPU jumps to 100%.  VM usage goes through the roof.  This box has 128M
of RAM, and 400M of swap.  It all fills up within two minutes, and the box
goes to its knees.  It doesn't crash, but it's essentially unusable.

Has anyone seen this problem on a FreeBSD box?  Or is this a Gated issue,
and I should harass those folks?

==ml

--
Michael Lucas			|