Date:      Fri, 17 Nov 2000 00:39:02 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OT: Culture (Was: BSD toques - You must be Canadian, Eh?)

On Thu, 16 Nov 2000, Mike Meyer wrote:

> Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu> types:
> > Yeah we just call those winter hats.

[snip]

> Winter? You mean that stuff they keep up in the mountains? No, that's
> snow.

We didn't get much snow in Albany; never more than 48 inches on the
ground at one time. But man, it was COLD. We got regular two-week
periods of sub-zero (Fahrenheit) temperatures.

> Does no one remember SCTV and Great White North? To bad.

When that show was on the air, I worked at a TV station in upstate New
York (yes, we aired it). Overnight shift - f*cking cold! I quickly
learned what a toque was, and why it was my friend. Also learned the
value of parking my car in the garage with the remote trucks for an
overnight deicing. Yes, you can keep a sandwich warm inside the control
panel of a Grass Valley video production switcher.

FWIW, when I was a child we called them "knit hats." No imagination,
these East Coast folks. Now that I live in Dixieland, I'd still buy one
if it had the Daemon on it. Better yet, a "powered by FreeBSD" sticker
for the car :^)

--
Chris Hill               chris@monochrome.org
[1]    Bus error                     netscape