Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 2000 10:34:12 +0100
From:      "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
Subject:   Microtime acting up again

Dear All,

Last night my machine drowned in "microtime going backwards" errors. It was
there when I installed FreeBSD 4.0-release, and it went away when I cvsupped
to -stable immediately after. However, it is back again.

My box is an AMD Athlon on an Asus k7v motherboard. I had cvsupped to
4.1-stable this monday night. I was dialed into my ISP, when my machine
became sluggish. The console was spitting "microtime going backward"
messages as fast as my video board would allow.

Under the flood I was able to shut down most applications and type "reboot"
in a root shell I happened to have open. The machine came back up, but my
mouse (logitech cordless) was crippled and spitting out psmintr out of sync
errors at me. An hour of power off eventually cured the problem.

Anyone on this list who can explain what this microtime problem is about?

I used to be able to reproduce it by running bonnie on my disks. I might do
that again this weekend, if I find the time.

    Kees Jan

 TV is the worst  of both  worlds.  It's not  as
 good at words  as radio is because the pictures
 are a distraction  which demand  attention, and
 it's not as good as cinema because the pictures
 are not nearly as good.       [Douglas Adams]