Date:      Fri, 7 Apr 2006 09:40:49 +1000
From:      Malcolm Fitzgerald <mfitzgerald@pacific.net.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD. ORG <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Which BSD - Flash Drive

On 07/04/2006, at 12:25 AM, Chuck Swiger wrote:

> orange_4444 wrote:
>> I would like to run a BSD distribution off a 1GB USB Flash drive...
>> What would be the most suitable - something like FreeSBIE?
>
> That's possible.  You do understand that flash drives only have very
> limited # of write cycles before they fail, and should be operated in
> read-only mode most of the time?

I've only heard that on this list.

This is from wikipedia - search "flash drive"
Recently there has been the increasing emergence of low cost "ROM-only"
chips in USB drives, instead of regular flash memory that is rated for
use up to 100,000 write cycles. ROM-only chips only last 5-10 cycles
and are generally used for storing the Firmware in embedded devices.

malcolm