Date:      Mon, 24 Jan 2000 09:10:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Nick Hibma <n_hibma@webweaving.org>
Subject:   Re: bug in cam_periph.c

On Mon, 24 Jan 2000, Nick Hibma wrote:

> I found the code while implementing the autosense in software in the
> umass driver. This is true for the vpo driver as well.
>
> You are basically saying that we could implement the sense command
> there. Except that of course for example from scsi_da.c that generic
> routine is never called. It relies on autosense I believe.

Not 'could'- 'should'. Right now we have to have all sim drivers implement
autosense their own way- big PITA if not done in H/W-F/W. Even drivers that
normally could do autosense can't always do so. The Qlogic 2X00 Fibre Channel
card is one example- if the target doesn't set Sense Valid in the FCP
Response, the 2X00 won't automatically run a REQUEST SENSE to fill in the
needed sense data if the scsi status was CHECK CONDITION- unlike the parallel
SCSI versions from the same vendor. Not *usually* a problem because it's
usually set and filled in, but there are cases where it isn't (look at
FreeBSD's own scsi_target.c as an example).

It's possible that periph_error isn't the right place to do this, but it's
probably the best place to do this.

-matt