Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2001 08:26:19 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "John Moriarty" <johnmoriarty@norshore.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Building a kernel

John Moriarty <johnmoriarty@norshore.net> types:
> Where, on the distribution of 4.2, can I find a copy of the GENERIC Kernel?

The kernel config file is in /usr/src/sys/i386/conf.

John Moriarty <johnmoriarty@norshore.net> types:
> I am used to using BSDi, and am currently teaching myself the ins and outs
> of FreeBSD.
>
> I am used to building kernels with
> make clean
> make depend
> make
>
> Will this work with FreeBSD V 4.2?

Yes, though you may need to do the "config" first; I'm not sure if 4.2
shipped with a config'ed kernel or not.

Once you start updating sources from the cvs repository, things get
confusing because the kernel build process depends on using the
correct toolset.

Details on all this are in the handbook at <URL:
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/kernelconfig-building.html >.

	<mike