Date:      Sat, 25 Nov 2000 13:37:04 +0100
From:      Len Conrad <lconrad@Go2France.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: max files per process and system?

>Drew Derbyshire wrote:
>
> > What's the max files (TCP connections) one can configure per
> > (non-root) user and per system?
> >
> > I'm not looking for the defaults, I'm looking for the upper limits.
> >
> > Does it require a kernel rebuilt?
> >

>Yes. That needs kernel recompiled.
>In reality max socket connections (tcp or unix no matter) per process
>and per system are usually the same number and depend on maxusers
>variable in the kernel configuration.

I was having trouble with FreeBSD 4.1.1 and a postfix gateway/hub
complaining with "Fatal: too many files open ..."  and the customer
didn't want to do a custom kernel because he had not installed kernel
sources.  By using "sysctl -w" and the default kernel only, were able
to increase to

kern.maxfiles: 8192
kern.maxfilesperproc: 4096

and we eliminated the postfix complaints.  The customer also added
128 megs RAM (378 total) because postfix was sometimes running 200+
SMTP processes and 70+ SMTPD processes.

Len