Date:      Thu, 22 Apr 1999 20:00:35 GMT
From:      jshafer@triton.net (John Shafer)
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Cc:        jmb@hub.freebsd.org, postmaster@freebsd.org
Subject:   Spam blocking (was Re: Book - "Pulpit Confessions: Exposing The Black Church")

The following is a message that I wrote earlier today, and
accidentally sent it only to Darren instead of to the whole list:

-----<begin forwarded message>-----

On Thu, 22 Apr 1999 02:30:15 -0700, Darren Pilgrim wrote:

>"Jordan K. Hubbard" wrote:
>>=20
>> > Someone please block this sucker!
>>=20
>> Just done.  I don't know who interaccess.com is, but they're now
>> spam filtered.
>
>That reminds me, have any of the iName domains be filtered out?  I
>have my roaming address, gryph@mindless.com, but when I tried to
>subscribe by that address, I never got a reply from majordomo.

Good question.  My normal email is jshafer@mindless.com, but
everything I send to the lists from it disappears.  I don't get bounce
messages or anything.  I really would prefer not to have to change my
address settings here to reply to the lists... =20

-----<end forwarded message>-----

It seems that mindless.com did indeed fall prey to the spam blocks.  I
do appreciate the spam-free nature of the lists, and realize it isn't
an exact science, but I was wondering what our usual policy for
dealing with spam was.   Do we ban an entire site on the basis of one
spammer?  Do we make attempts to contact the ISPs in question first?
When I first attempted to join -chat and -newbies I was confused
because none of my messages received any response.  This did _not_
make a very good first impression!

I did just send a note to postmaster asking if an exception to the
block on mindless.com could be made for my address.  Otherwise it
becomes prohibitively difficult to take part in list discussions,
because first I have to change my mailer configs to use a different,
non-blocked address & server, then change it back when I'm done.

Thanks,
John