Date:      Fri, 10 Feb 2006 10:31:51 -0500
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Marcos Bedinelli <bedinelli@madhaus.cns.utoronto.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Network performance in a dual CPU system

Marcos Bedinelli wrote:
[ ... ]
> Does anyone know whether a dual CPU system can help us improve the
> situation? I was wondering if the software interrupt threads would be
> divided between the two processors.
>
> Any help/insight is greatly appreciated

Adding SMP into the mix makes thing more complicated, and you should consider
other alternatives first before spending money on hardware that might not help.

vmstat -i output would be useful to know, along with what your machine is
doing-- is it routing traffic, running a firewall (if so, which), etc.

You might take a look at "man polling" and see whether enabling that improves
your situation.

--
-Chuck