Date:      Fri, 3 Aug 2007 22:04:18 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: parformance patch?

>> -#define MAXPHYS                (128 * 1024)    /* max raw I/O transfer
>> size */
>> +#define MAXPHYS                (512 * 1024)    /* max raw I/O transfer
>> size */
>> both works for me and gives noticable speedup, when operating on big files
>> and when starting big apps or swapping.
>
> There are assumptions about the value of MAXPHYS all through the
> kernel.  I doubt this patch works properly - it is something that
> should be fixed more completely though.

funny but THIS patch (MAXPHYS, not other) is working for me on 4 heavily
loaded servers for over a year with FreeBSD 6.2

while vm patch is running on my notebook for 2 days only, ok for now but
still testing.

>> other question (swap_pager.c):
>>
>> /*
>>  * SWB_NPAGES must be a power of 2.  It may be set to 1, 2, 4, 8, or 16
>>  * pages per allocation.  We recommend you stick with the default of 8.
>>  * The 16-page limit is due to the radix code (kern/subr_blist.c).
>>  */
>>
>> #ifndef MAX_PAGEOUT_CLUSTER
>> #define MAX_PAGEOUT_CLUSTER 16
>> #endif
>>

>> can this be changed/fixed? 64-128 would be nicer...
>
> Why?  i.e. what are the implications of this, good and bad?

16*4=64kbytes

for modern disk drives 64 kbytes is transferred below 1 milisecond, while
seek takes 8-10ms by average.

doing so small I/O is inefficient. something like 512kB (128 pages) looks
better.

patched vm_fault make pageins faster, but not pageout. disks often does
write caching clustering pageouts anyway, but probably not that efficient.