Date:      Wed, 10 Apr 2002 23:53:48 -0400
From:      Scott <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
To:        User Tomdean <tomdean@speakeasy.org>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ASUS A7N266-E and XFree86-4.2.0

At 19:46 2002/04/10 -0700, User Tomdean wrote:
>I have a system w/ an ASUS A7N266-E motherboard with the built-in VGA
>adapter, using the NVIDIA GeForce2 logic.
>
>Is anyone using XFree86-4.2.0 with this motherboard and the integrated
>VGA?

There's a known bug with some ASUS boards, and it's being worked on at
present--the current maintainer has a hack that will work (though probably
has to be redone each time you make world.

Open   /usr/src/sys/i386/i386/i686_mem.c

(err, never hurts to back it up first.  I'll give all the steps, even
though you probably know them, as this list is deja searchable and might
help the next person who doesn't know all of them.
So, back it up
cd /usr/src/sys/i386/i386
cp i686_mem.c i686_mem.c.orig
Around line 269 you'll see

u_int                    cr4save;

  mrd = sc->mr_desc;

between those two lines insert

return;

Save the file.  (This has to do with problems with MTRR and these
boards--for more info see
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=28418  )

Now recompile the kernel--let's say you're running a kernel called
MYKERN  (if you're just using GENERIC, then substitute GENERIC for MYKERN)

cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf

config MYKERN

You see a message saying don't forget to do make depend and also telling
you where to go, which should be ../../config/MYKERN

make depend && make && make install

Reboot.
It should fix the problem

As I said, I go into such detail for the newbie who searches deja or the
archives with a similar question.

HTH
Scott Robbins