Date:      Tue, 24 Apr 2001 09:07:58 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Cc:        Mart Norman <mart@estnet.ee>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: upgrading from 3.0 to 4.3

On Mon, 23 Apr 2001, Peter Wemm wrote:

> Bruce Evans wrote:
> > On Mon, 23 Apr 2001, Mart Norman wrote:
> > > Any hints what should i do to make buildworld successful?
> >
> > Start by deleting usr.sbin/config from bootstrap-tools.  You won't be
> > able to build any kernels until the new world is installed, and this
> > may cause further problems.
>
> Dont forget -DNO_PERL.  'installworld' will destroy your system as just
> about every single application will fail with a SIGSYS due to signal
> calls.

Hmm.  It's really a bug to build the new libraries with the new system
headers until a new kernel is installed.  The new systems headers really
belong to the new kernel, not to the library.  However, the library
probably depends on new features in them...

> I got around this by building a kernel elsewhere (basically a slightly
> stripped GENERIC), booting that, and then doing something like:
> make -k buildworld; make -k installworld, then repeating.

This shows that building and running a new kernel first is more likely
to be right than building a new world first.  Therefore, it is important
for tools needed to build the new kernel to be portable.  config is much
simpler than it used to be and could easily be portable.

Bruce