Date:      Fri, 24 May 2002 19:45:50 -0400
From:      Shaun Newcomer <shaun@ncweb.com>
To:        "Mike A. Oligny" <pandaro@freebsd.schema.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help!! Normal 4.5 Install Kernel doesn't work.

I apologize for being vague, I appreciate the time you allow to help me and
I will try to be as clear as possible.

As far as the 15 seconds goes... it locks up when the duration is set that
long. The keyboard and everything become inactive. This is a known bug with
this type of IBM that for some reason or another was never addressed. These
machines are not very popular.

The lock up occurs when you first install it because, at least one of the
problems is that the GENERIC kernel doesn't support Multi Processors by
default. What I did, was compile, but not install the kernel on another
FreeBSD machine that I have. I then replaced the kernel on the kernel
floppy with the kernel I made.

The next problem after I got the whole thing going is that the install
places a regular GENERIC kernel as the kernel to boot from, which doesn't
work... it locks up.

What I need to do is find a way to either have sysinstall place the
functional kernel there, or boot and compile it right on the machine. I
thought of two options...

1.) Copying the kernel that I made into the / directory of the CD
(basically burning a new one with my kernel). This didn't work. Is there a
specific folder in the CD that contains the install kernel?

2.) Doing the same thing I did to the kernel floppy to a fixit floppy,
which, in theory would allow me to boot, mount my file systems and either
copy the kernel from the floppy into / or just compile a whole new one.

Does anyone have any other suggestions??

Shaun Newcomer
shaun@ncweb.com