Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 2001 17:25:59 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>
Cc:        "Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OT: non-Unix history (Was: FreeBSD vs linux)

Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com> types:
> Mike Meyer wrote:
> That does not mean I agree on the point of API difference. Apps
> got ported allright, back then. They just didn't execute good
> enough. No fancy title will change that impression for me <g>.

Hmm - I think we're talking about different apps. Personally, I find
it hard to believe that *anything* could fail because it "didn't
execute good enough", given how many copies of their stuff MS sells.

> Besides, the mini market really was on its way out in those days.
> Even the mainframe market - or especially if you believe the trade
> rags - felt the heet. So porting... What porting. I know it was
> conceived to be a big issue, but just a minor one to me. Accorind
> to Murphy's Law I am of course wrong in this :).

I think we may be talking about different apps - or maybe I have a
warped view. I worked for Ingres, and later Sybase, and deciding to
support a new platform was a big deal. Yeah, everyone supported Sun,
and almost everyone supported hp and dec (both of which were in both
the mini and workstation market), but beyond that, it was pretty
haphazard.

> > Later, of course, WordPerfect started running on nearly anything - I
> > even had an Amiga vesion at one point.
> Yeah, but "alas", too little, too late.

Well, to little to capture the market. But Word Perfect is still
around, and still being updated. You can even run it on FreeBSD, if
you want to.

> The quote because I'm more of a WordStar guy myself. Those keys
> are hardwired into my nervous system. No amount of vi, emacs, or
> whatever experience will change that. What is truly a pits is
> using all three (i.e. jstar, vi, emacs) at the same time in
> different xterms. Or shells, for that matter.

I was going to ask if there was a version of WordStar around, but I
don't see jstar in the ports tree :-(. Personally, I don't run emacs
in an xterm - I give it it's own window. Much faster display updates
that way.

I do know about keystrokes, though. Mine date from Mince on CP/M-80. I
even spent one summer hacking up a microemacs so my muscle memory
actions (mostly GNUish) did what I expected them to.

	<mike