Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 2000 18:09:25 -0500
From:      Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@math.missouri.edu>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   log with dynamic firewall rules

I would like to set up a firewall with dynamic rules to allow
ssh from the outside.  I would like these incoming ssh's logged.
So I tried something like:

ipfw add pass log tcp from any to my.computer.net 22 keep-state setup

Now it would make sense to me that this would log the initial setup,
but that the following times that the then created dynamic rule is
invoked would not be logged.

However that is not the case.  All the tcp packets between the
established conenction are logged.

I know that I could have some rules:

add pass tcp from any to any in via ${oif} established
add pass all from any to any frag

before this one, but doesn't that defeat part of the point of
dynamic rules?

--
Stephen Montgomery-Smith
Department of Mathematics, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO 65211