Date:      Tue, 13 Jun 1995 16:40:39 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        hlew@cycle.Stanford.EDU (Howard Lew)
Cc:        bugs@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.05R panics on boot

Howard Lew stands accused of saying:

> I just tried the new (second 2.05R) boot.flp, and it still panics with
> the same message on bootup after the PCI probe is completed.

> So after reset, it tries to boot up.  I see the usual Ontrack DM overlay
> stuff, and then it says to press space for floppy boot.  It never asks
> for F1-Disk 1 or F5-Disk 2.  (Hmmm... This is strange because the SNAP
> releases didn't seem to have this boot selection problem.  That boot
> manager seemed to always work fine).

Um.  This sort of implies that your BIOS is set to boot from harddisk
first, and then floppy.  This is extremely ungood, if it is the case.

> * If I use Ontrack DM 6.03a and set the DOS partition active (I don't
> know why it became inactive), the system prompts for F1-Disk 1 and
> F5-Disk 2.  But at that prompt, if I choose F1, I get DOS.  And if I
> choose F5, I also get DOS (so they are still booting from wd0 which is my
> DOS drive).

This smells _awfully_ like you have DM coming in too early and trying to
be "smart".

> * In the installation... If I choose wd1 and do the partition, and then
> do the disklabel to mount the partitions, I never see the R flag as
> mentioned in the help info for Partitions.  The CA>= flags do appear, but
> I never see the R flag appear.  Could this be the cause of the problems?

I've never seen the 'R' flag either 8)

Dike out the 850 and reconfigure the second disk as the first & try
booting from it.  This will rule out DM as a possible cause of trauma.

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[