Date:      Sat, 20 Feb 1999 10:48:35 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb@comkey.com.au>
To:        "Ryan, Martin" <MRyan@VICMAIN.YPA.telstra.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help with {P}make

This question was far too involved and imprecise for people with
limited time to wade through.

Let's cut to the essentials:

> TESTDIR         = /home/www-hotstage/cgi-bin
> INSTALLDIR      = /home/www/cgi-bin
> PLSCRIPTS       = sites.pl sites-popup.pl
>
> test            : $(TESTDIR)/$(PLSCRIPTS)
>
> install         : $(INSTALLDIR)/$(PLSCRIPTS)
>
> $(TESTDIR)/$(PLSCRIPTS) : $(.PREFIX).pl
>       perl -c $(.PREFIX).pl
>       cp $(.PREFIX).pl  $(.TARGET)

We need to know (precisely) what you wanted this to do.  That
means: what command lines did you hope to see make generate?

Then we need to know (precisely) what actually happened that was
different from what you hoped.  That means: what command lines
did make generate instead?

Finally, when trying to understand what make does, unless you're
an expert (which probably means you had a wasted life), you need
to stay away from "make -n" -- there are too many circumstances
when that does not generate the same command lines that would be
generated without the "-n".

--
Greg Black <gjb@acm.org>