Date:      Fri, 07 Apr 2000 01:03:35 -0400
From:      Eric Harris <ejharris@home.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        ejharris@home.com
Subject:   Natd causing system to crash

Howdy!

I'm new to the FreeBSD world and was told by people on IRC that this would
be the best place to post this question.

I am running FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE and trying to run Natd.  I have two NICs
installed, one going to a HUB and one going to my cable modem.

Basically, I believe I have everything configured properly and have double
checked it against the Natd man page.  I have asked a dozen people online
and no one can think of the cause.  This is my final try, so please reply
back if you have any insight.

When I plug my cable modem into my NIC, the system immediately crashes.

This is a brief part of the error, then it reboots 15 seconds afterwards.
So I'm not able to get *everything*:

Fatal trap 12: Page fault while in kernel mode
Fault virtual address: 0x8
Trap number: 12
Panic: Page fault
Fault code: Supervisor read, page not present

Then it restarts.  Again, this will only happen after I plug the cable
modem in.  If the cable modem is already plugged in, it will get the same
errors right after the system boots up.  So there is no way around this,
unless the cable modem is not plugged into the NIC.

I have put my various system files/configs on a web site so that you may
all view them.  I hope this covers about everything, but please let me know
if you need any other info:

* Kernel config: http://www.execpc.com/~eharris/FREEBSD

* dmesg before crash: http://www.execpc.com/~eharris/dmesg

* ps aux before crash: http://www.execpc.com/~eharris/psaux

* Uname -a output: http://www.execpc.com/~eharris/uname

* /etc/rc.conf: http://www.execpc.com/~eharris/rc.conf

* /etc/rc.firewall: http://www.execpc.com/~eharris/rc.firewall

* /etc/inetd.conf: http://www.execpc.com/~eharris/inetd.conf

If anyone would like an account on the system, just email me and I will
give you an account on my gateway, which will enable you to access the
FreeBSD machine.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.  I eagerly await any replies.

Regards,

Eric Harris
ejharris@home.com