Date:      Wed, 19 Apr 2006 09:50:31 +0200
From:      Oliver Brandmueller <ob@e-Gitt.NET>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portsnap mirror servers

--GTZ+2qEBTXdGs1w1

Hello,

On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 01:28:56AM +0100, Chris wrote:
> On 18/04/06, Colin Percival <cperciva@freebsd.org> wrote:
> > Why do you think there should be an .eu mirror?
>=20
> Whilst portsnap is fast, it is a noticeable speed difference when
> using from eu servers, I also think its a good idea for redundancy.

I did not yet check in the sources or with tcpdump, but from the=20
htrougput I see, I'd guess, there's a lot of sequential two-way=20
communication involved. That kind of traffic is massively influenced by=20
latency. While most sites in europe are reachable for me with a latency=20
of 15-30ms, I have between 120 and 200 ms to most sites across the=20
atlantic.

Maybe this is old-school and not valid today anymore as it was 10 years=20
ago, but keeping traffic local and not pushing the same data through the=20
big exchanges and long distance lines again and again stil seems=20
reasonable to me for various reasons.

I also vote for more geographic distribution and a local mirror in=20
europe. While not having any usage data (current usage, hstroy,=20
perspectives), I cannot decide of course, if the time has already come,=20
but I think time will come in foreseeable future.

- Oliver

--=20
| Oliver Brandmueller | Offenbacher Str. 1  | Germany       D-14197 Berlin |
| Fon +49-172-3130856 | Fax +49-172-3145027 | WWW:   http://the.addict.de/ |
|               Ich bin das Internet. Sowahr ich Gott helfe.               |
| Eine gewerbliche Nutzung aller enthaltenen Adressen ist nicht gestattet! |

--GTZ+2qEBTXdGs1w1

--GTZ+2qEBTXdGs1w1--