Date:      23 Feb 1998 13:47:01 +0100
From:      dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling Coidan Smørgrav)
To:        Neil Webster <slash@slash.org>
Cc:        "'hardware@freebsd.org'" <hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 3c509 Cards

Neil Webster <slash@slash.org> writes:
> From looking through the web site I see there is no shortage on
> problems with these cards, unfortunately I am having the same
> problem. I have got the latest NIC drivers from 3com, and done
> various things like set my card to address 300h and irq 3, and then
> set BSD to 0x300 IRQ 3, disabled pnp, etc etc etc.. and no matter
> what I do ifconfig fails to see the device ep0. Occasionally it says
> it detected 16 3C509 boards, and configured then, but it still
> doesnt find the card... anyone have any suggestions? Anything would
> be appreciated :)

Please avoid lines loger than ~70 characters.

About the 3c509:

 1) Do *not* assign IRQ 3 to your NIC. It is used by one of the serial
    ports. Conflicts galore. I use port 0x300 or 0x340 with IRQ 10.

 2) Your symptoms (ep0 not found at 0x300, 16 3c5x9 boards detected)
    are consistent with a known bug in the ep driver which prevents it
    from detecting Etherlink III boards in a machine which also
    contains a SoundBlaster 32 or 64. I have submitted a patch for
    that bug, but nobody seems to care. Search the GNATS database for
    open PRs with "if_ep" in the synopsis.

--
"I have a closed mind. It helps keeping the rain out." (Michael Press on a.s.r)