Date:      Thu, 26 Feb 1998 07:02:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Michael V. Harding" <mvh@netcom.com>
To:        mvh@netcom.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A 'make world' suggestion...

Whoops!  Of course I meant 'rm -rf /usr/obj' below...

-- mvh

   Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 16:27:24 -0800 (PST)
   From: "Michael V. Harding" <mvh@netcom.com>
   Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG

   The following occurred to me while after doing a 'make -DNOCLEAN
   buildworld' on a populated /usr/obj with only one file change:

   for my system, (K6 200, IDE) the timing goes as follows for a 'make
   buildworld':

   1. ~2.5 hrs: a regular 'make buildworld'

   2. ~1.5 hrs: 'make -DNOCLEAN buildworld' with an empty /usr/src/obj
      tree, including (parallel) removal of the old /usr/src/obj data.

   3. ~1.0 hrs: 'make buildworld' with a populated /usr/src/obj

   Option 2 is all I use - it saves an hour and does a complete build.
   Option 3 is 'risky' and not worth the extra half hour.  Option 1
   provides no benefit over option 2.

   Could we codify option 2 with a -DQUICKCLEAN flag or something, where
   the steps I do by hand are incorporated into the makefile?  The only
   difference would be that a 'rm -rf /usr/src' would get done at the
   beginning, and the rest would work like a -DNOCLEAN.

   Also, could the following line be done at the END of installworld, or
   of buildworld, so that it's possible to remove the object tree with a
   simple 'rm -rf /usr/src/obj/*' ?

	   chflags -R noschg ${WORLDTMP}/

   The flags could be set in 'installworld' rather than 'buildworld', and
   reset after the install...

   Thanks,

   Mike Harding