Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 2000 17:36:20 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: jail(8) and mount point limits ...

* The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org> [001220 17:21] wrote:

> Morning all ...
>
> 	I'm trying to figure out a way fo cleanly sharing directories
> betwen jail environments, and am running against a few 'brick walls', and
> am wondering if anyone has any ideas ...
>
> 	Right now, I have a server that has 30 jail environments
> configured onto it ... works great, but I'd like to work on reducing some
> of the duplication of files, if I can, so that I don't have to upgrade 30
> servers when I need to upgrade a piece of software, or, at the very least,
> not have 30+ /usr/ports to update ...
>
> 	Now, someone had one suggested a hard link, but you can't do that
> with directories according to the docs, so that idea is out ... and a
> symlink won't go "through" the chroot() environment ...

Actually, you just make a skeleton directory tree for each user,
then just hardlink the files.

Make sure you chflags the files so that people can't mess with them.
As long as the directories are owned by the individual user they can
remove files, but they won't be able to modify the contents unless they
unlink them.