Date:      Fri, 17 Nov 2000 11:12:33 +0530 (IST)
From:      "Khuzaima A. Lakdawala" <klak@giasbm01.vsnl.net.in>
To:        mwm@mired.org
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Boot manager woes

Hi, many thanks for your reply:

>  From: Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
>  Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 11:04:08 -0600 (CST)
>  Cc: questions@freebsd.org
>  Subject: Re: Boot manager woes
>  > NOW, I switched the drives as follows:
>  >
>  > Primary Master: 17 GB FreeBSD
>  > Primary Slave: 2 GB Windows95
>  > Secondary Master: CDROM
>
>  Any particular reason for changing it? After all, it was working the
>  way it was before.

Yes, I was in the process of adding a new CD-RW drive whose
documentation states that "in order to take full advantage of the
system's performance, we recommend that you connect the drive to the
secondary connector by itself as the Master." So I replaced the
FreeBSD disk (originally secondary Master) with the CD-RW drive.

I then made the FreeBSD drive the primary master and the Windows disk
the slave simply because I wanted FreeBSD to be the first choice at
the boot manager prompt (silly me!) and I was hopelessly ignorant of
the fact (pointed out by you) that DOS/Windows "cannot boot from any
disks but the first one."

>  In other words, Windows can't do what you're asking it to do. The
>  choices seem to be to swap the drives around again, or use grub
>  instead of booteasy, and remap the drives.

Yes, I'll just swap them again and stick with booteasy.

I tried installing grub but the make failed with the following error:

  configure: error: GRUB requires GAS .code16 addr32 support; upgrade
  your binutils
  ===>  Script "configure" failed: here are the contents of "config.log"

Followed by a longish display of config.log... Never mind, I don't
want to bite off more than I can chew. I'll just stick with booteasy
and swap the drives.

>  > Please be kind enough to CC your replies (and replies to replies) to
>  > me.
>
>  Always.

Thanks again,

Khuzaima