Date:      Mon, 29 Jan 2001 21:52:41 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Roger Marquis <marquis@roble.com>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bind8.2.3 and installation problem

--W/nzBZO5zC0uMSeA

On Mon, Jan 29, 2001 at 09:32:18PM -0800, Roger Marquis wrote:
> Mehmet Hinc <marduk@pozitif.net> wrote:
> > Stop in /usr/ports/net/bind8.
> > *** Error code 1
> >=20
> > What ??????????? Why??????????? I updated my ports and tried to install
> > bind8.2.3 because bind8.2.2 has had a vulnerability , so While I was
> > installing it, I had a error msgs. (in the up)
> > please let me know How can I fix it !!!
>=20
> Bind was written on BSD.  What's the point of using a port to
> upgrade it?  All FreeBSD's bind port does is increase your chances
> of errors, reduce your system's overall QA, and install duplicate
> files in non-standard places.  The following steps have worked
> flawlessly over this and several bind upgrades:

Surely that's the description of what your version does, not the port,
which is an official, reversible, tested, vetted way to install the
software on FreeBSD.

In other words, when you compile software yourself you "void the
warranty" and take your life into your own hands :-)

Kris
--W/nzBZO5zC0uMSeA

--W/nzBZO5zC0uMSeA--