Date:      Thu, 19 Jun 2003 00:12:29 -0500
From:      sweetleaf <sweetleaf@myrealbox.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   how much space for /

When i installed freebsd-5.1, i stayed close to the recommended partition sizes in the handbook. The faq. said 100 megabytes would usually be enough for the / partition. I decided to install freebsd with 300M for the / partition just to be on the safe side. The only thing i have added since the original install is the linux compatibility and some linux apps i needed such as netscape, opera etc. Ok, now for some reason my / partition shows to be full and i cant figure it out as like i said only a few apps have been installed. It appears to me that after adding linux compatibility the / partition went to full maybe because of the syslink "compat" that was placed on my / partition by the freebsd-5.1 linux compatibility port.

# df -h
Filesystem    Size   Used  Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/ad0s1a   290M   269M  -1.7M   101%    /
devfs         1.0K   1.0K     0B   100%    /dev
/dev/ad0s1f   965M   2.0K   888M     0%    /home
/dev/ad0s1g   965M   2.0K   888M     0%    /private
/dev/ad0s1e   484M  10.0K   445M     0%    /tmp
/dev/ad0s1h    33G   1.4G    29G     5%    /usr
/dev/ad0s1d   145M   9.2M   124M     7%    /var

# cd /
# pwd
/
KroNiC# ls
.cshrc          boot            dist            private         sys
.profile        cdrom           entropy         proc            tmp
COPYRIGHT       cdrom1          etc             root            usr
XF86Config.new  compat          home            sbin            var
bin             dev             mnt             stand

Is there another way this should be done?

Thanks in advance.