Date:      Thu, 31 May 2001 10:20:49 -0400
From:      parv <parv_@yahoo.com>
To:        f-q <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How to put color in your console?

so, me shared this in my lifetime...

> so, E. J. Cerejo shared this in my lifetime...
> > Hello, I was wondering if you can put color in your
> > console to make it more appealing!
>
> besides ls, you can compile 4 or so colors in the kernel which
> makes easier to disntinguish between normal console work & kernel
> messages not to mention better highlighting of man pages.
>
> see /sys/i386/conf/LINT for more, if any, info on following 4 options:
>
> # normal text of console
> #options 	SC_NORM_ATTR="(FG_CYAN|BG_BLACK)"
> #

(this may be off topic for ej cerejo, but is in sync w/
the spirit of the subject.)

also, i found that red/black (for normal console work) is just
plain too dark...

...i tried yellow/black which was just fine until i tried to read a
man page; while normal text is okay, the "bold text" appears in
brown/muddy color which wants to blend w/ black; so yellow/black
was out of the list...

...green/black may be okay if one is using CRT instead of LCD
monitor(s) as, depending on angle of view, top part of my LCD
monitor appears darker (dell i5000e 15") and bottom washed
out/faded than normal. and, green in top portion was near as dark
as red/black.

for green/black & cyan/black, the "bold" text (in man output) appears
in lighter shade of either color which is just fine, at least one
can read easily if not be able to easily pick out the bold text.

(as you can see, i finally settled on cyan/black.)